Sunday, January 15, 2012

A part of life Ending a new chapter beginning


A new year just began a couple of weeks ago and with that comes a time of reflections of 2011 and the ups and downs the year brought for me. So I tried to sit down and think about this past year and to be honest when I think about 2011 it is hard to even recall the tough times throughout the year. I am sure there were plenty as every year has to bring about some discomfort at one point of another; but as I try to recall some I am unable. I must still be feeling that newlywed bliss that this year brought because when I think of 2011, all I think of is the joy the year brought to me.

It was a year full of wonderful beginnings for me and for plenty around me as well. 2011 started off with the best birthday present I had every received and it was a trip to Florida for my 29th birthday. My fiance (Jason) and I left for Florida on New Year’s Eve with a main goal of visiting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. Yes, I was a 29 year old adult in love with the Harry Potter Series. I cannot even begin to describe the anticipation I felt leading up to this trip, as I was just over the moon with excitement; and the feeling felt when entering this theme park could not be replaced.  It was like revisiting a feeling only felt in my childhood; and how many times in your life do you get to feel that free and innocent feeling you feel when you are a child…I can tell you for me there have not been many in adulthood. I loved that it made Jason happy to see me skipping (literally) and jumping around all over the place in my excitement. He managed to fill the trip with all things I love: Harry Potter, Roller Coasters, Beaches and even a little gambling.  It was a wonderful vacation that left me feeling nothing but happiness.  Well after that the year went on and I got to be a part of and experience so many other exciting beginnings as well.

It was a year filled with plenty of bridal showers, weddings (friends, family and my own), baby showers, and lots of babies being born as well. I planted my first garden and spent the first year in my first home (which is still undecorated 13 months later), I experienced the art of planking (which I still laugh thinking about) and took two Vegas trips (one being for my Brother Ricky’s 21st wahoo, the other a wedding). As much fun as his birthday was (especially because of my love for Las Vegas) it left me a little sad as well.  Because I will always think of him as my baby brother who I would get up with in the middle of the night to feed his bottle (we are a little far apart in age). Also I would like to say I fought with my mom over this nightly ritual but now thinking back I do not remember her putting up much of a fight by the time he came along. I think she handed him over graciously and a little too happily. All and all still a fun Vegas trip.  

As much fun as that trip was it is was not the main reason for the joy I felt in 2011. The highlight of my year would be the fact that I married the most wonderful man a woman could ask for. He is patient, kind hearted and not afraid to express how he feels for me (no matter who is around). I may be a little biased but I tend to think he is a one of a kind extraordinary man.  Our relationship is not always perfect and we do not see eye to eye on everything but we do work hard at maintaining and keeping what we have alive and thriving. No relationship is easy but if it is worth keeping, it is worth fighting for.

Well we were married at the end of May, honeymooned in Greece in June (which was so beautiful, relaxing and tiring all at the same time) and have now spent the last 7 months learning how to live together. In my opinion it is not as hard as people say it is. He has habits I may not care for and I know I have habits he could live without but neither of us are in the habit of changing each other so for the most part starting our life together has been pretty great. I think it is harder for me living away from my mother (yes I am a momma’s girl) than it has been living with my husband. His calm demeanor may have a bit to do with it. He is definitely the calm to my storm (and seeing as how I am a woman I can definitely bring that storm on).
All and all when I look back at this year I will see it as the best year of my life up to this point. It was full of beauty, joy and wonderful new beginnings; that are much better felt than described. It was a darn fine way to end my twenties which came to an end about 13 days ago but more thoughts on that another day.

















No comments:

Post a Comment